When You Should Use Powder Coating Services
When you manufacture parts or products that need a durable, protective coating, your first instinct may be to paint those items. Paint isn’t always the best choice, however. In many cases, powder coating is a superior alternative. Powder coating offers some significant advantages over traditional wet paint coatings. Here are some of the most important things to consider when determining whether to invest in powder coating services for the surface finishing for your particular project.
Advantages of Powder Coating
Powder coating has several key advantages over wet paint, such as:
- Durability. Is powder coating durable? The answer is yes, as powder coating typically creates a coating twice as thick as paint. Its inherent flexibility means it can withstand a lot more stress without cracking, chipping or flaking the way paint does.
- Economics. Powder coating produces far less overspray than paint, meaning less of it is needed to cover the same area. Powder coating also doesn’t evaporate the way paint does, so less will be wasted, as well.
- Speed. Because powder coating can be cured completely within 30 minutes in the oven, components coated with it can be put to use almost immediately. Compare this with waiting hours or even days for paint to dry.
- Eco-friendliness. Powder coating doesn’t contain the same type of harmful solvents or volatile organic compounds found in most paints. It thus is safer for you to use and has less of an environmental impact.
When You Should Choose Powder Coating
Because of its many advantages, powder coating can be a great choice as the finish for various projects. Here’s just a partial list of the types of items that can be powder coated:
Powder coating provides a superior finish from an aesthetic standpoint, but you should also choose powder coating when you want your product or part to possess the following qualities:
- Strength. Powder coating will take much more abuse than traditional paint.
- Affordability. Less powder needed means coating your project will be less expensive, and its durability means fewer touch-ups will be needed.
- Readiness. Powder coating cures quickly, meaning you can put your items to work right away.
- Environmentally responsible. Because powder coating does less harm to the environment, it’s a good choice for projects that are designed to be eco-friendly.
Powder coating from Rhinehart Finishing can be a great alternative to traditional paint for many reasons. If you have parts or products that require finishing, consider all the advantages of powder coating.